Image Map

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Just Enough Light

I love the book Just Enough Light for the Step I'm On by Stormie Omartian.  It was transformng for me when I first learned of my son's diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome.   In one of the early chapters, the book states that once we think we've figured out  how to walk the Christian walk, we have to learn to walk all over again.  It is said that books don't change lives but sentences in books change lives.  I am living proof of this.

When we received the asperger's diagnosis for our son, we were well acquanted with being Christians, being parents and being in ministry.  I knew how to do "this thing called the Christian life."  And that was the problem:  it was me who knew.  I had to figure out how this was going to work from that point forward.  The way I had done things wasn't going to cut it.  This book helped me to pick up one foot at a time and learn a whole lot of things that God wanted me to embrace. 

I had to take time to focus on the changes I was suppose to make before I could be effective with my family.