Image Map

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Tin Can Faith


Today's verses are Isaiah 45:2-3.  I will go before you Cyrus, and level the mountains. I will smash down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron. And I will give you treasures hidden in the darkness- secret riches. I will do this so you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, the one who calls you by name.
 
When I think of cutting through metal, I have a very wimpy picture in my mind.  I have often fought with all of my might to get a hand held can opener to remove the lid from a tin can. Tin is a thin metal but it often gives me problems. I can't imagine what it would take to break a bronze gate or an iron bar. Sounds like a God size task. I am overwhelmed easily with a tin can situation.

When our family faced off an autism diagnosis, it was as if it was bronze or iron and I couldn't even handle tin. God helped our son cut through some big bars of iron. Honestly, it is amazing all the hurdles that have been jumped. As with any disability, there are still some gates and bars. But honestly, most of us have some gates and bars that need shattering.

Once the world of disability is faced head on, discouragement can be overcome by trust in God. The task of raising this child is too big otherwise. Trust God and see all kinds of gates and bars of heavy metal he will smash. This way, the Lord God will make himself known to you!