Image Map

Friday, February 8, 2013

Never Say Never!


We've all heard the phrase Never Say Never! You never know what could happen, how a situation could turn around, what you might do that you never thought you would do. I could give you countless examples of each of those things over the years of our parenting. Some of them go like this: He'll never get potty trained. I will never let a child sleep in our bed. I can't do this one more day. I've had it. Will I ever be able to send my child to school and pick him up at the end of the day without hearing all the things he did wrong?
 
The list goes on. One of my heroes is Helen Keller. We watched the old movie about her life when my oldest daughter was reading a biography of her during second grade. I have always loved hearing about her life. I love the part of the movie where it seemed hopeless but Annie Sullivan, her teacher saw the first ray of hope. Helen Keller said, "While they were saying among themselves it cannot be done, it was done."

I know at times, I didn't think it could be done. I was told by others that certain things couldn't be done. There were a few people in our lives that were our Annie Sullivan's. They believed it could be done and helped us to believe the same. They were right.

 Though some will look at your child and think you are not the parent you should be, know that much can be accomplished.