Image Map

Monday, October 28, 2013

Advocating Step 3

It is important to find the right professionals.  Is there a “click?”  I don’t know any other way to explain it.  Whether it is a speech pathologist, babysitter or psychologist, you as a parent needs to feel good about this person spending time with your child. This person is likely to have a lot of influence on your child and on you. Do you respect him?  Do you like her?  Does he value your role as the parent?  What things should be evaluated?
  • Does my child and the professional have a good connection? Is there compassion as well as structure and expertise?
  • Do I connect with the professional?  Does he interact with me and answer questions willingly?  Do I like how I see her interact with my child?
  • Do I see the services making a difference?
  • Do you agree with the way the work is being done?  Are you uncomfortable with the treatment approach?
  • Are you a valued member of your child’s team?  Do you feel that the role of parent is taken seriously by professionals?
  • Are you comfortable with the values of the person providing services to your child?

These questions will be a start in your evaluation process of the service providers you choose for your child.