Image Map

Thursday, October 24, 2013

New is Always Non-Preferred.

Just try it! It will be ok. A child who avoids new things has to learn that trying something different is expected sometimes.  There is likely to be arguments.  The adult must gently persuade the child to try new things.  In fact, he may find that it's not that bad after all.  I’ve said, "just try it," to my son more times than I can count. He doesn’t like new anything.  Does he like new restaurants? Nope! Does he like new routes to school.  No!  Does he like new video game stores?  Well, he is open to that one.  That’s one of his special interest areas so that’s ok.


We’ve tried every way under the sun to expand his interests.  It’s not easy and it doesn’t come without a cost.  The cost is usually, my son is mad at me.  That’s ok.  It’s been worth it.  His attitude is “why should I try something new, I know what I like.”  If he doesn’t expand his interests, it is much more difficult for him to “live in the real world” and make friends  He becomes even more unwilling to try new things if he never is encouraged to do so.  

The adults in the child’s life need to be the defender’s of reality. They help the child know this is what most people do.  That’s success!