Image Map

Monday, October 7, 2013

Picking up the Pieces after a School Conference

I remember the worse school conference I ever attended. It was the fall of my son's 2nd grade year. After the conference, my husband decided it was time to move forward.  Today I will share our family’s story.  

I had wanted to have my son tested for ADHD.  My husband didn’t have any interest.  We continued as we had been doing helping our son the best we knew how.  School began in his second grade year.  It wasn’t long until things unraveled.


I don’t remember the chronology of all the events that led to our son’s diagnosis on the autism spectrum.  I do remember a conversation with our school counselor.  She told me she thought we should have our son evaluated.  I shared that we wanted a Christian psychologist.  She told me that she didn’t know anyone locally that could do the testing that was a Christian.  To my surprise, my husband said, “Let’s go ahead and go to a counselor that she suggests.  


At that point, I knew we were going to find some answers.  Once we went to the counselor who did the testing, we were on our way. We were able to take her advice and counsel and begin the process of interventions.  The rest is history.