Image Map

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Step 2 Interventions

Today, let’s cover one way to “get going” with professionals.  I will share a couple examples from my life.


When I’ve planned, I set up priorities for a certain time period.
When I’m planning for the summer, I used a calendar and write in things I know will be happening. I look at the schedule and think about what else my son may need.  For example when he was younger I knew vacation dates.  I knew dates when school ended and began.  I needed to figure out the rest.  Some of my summer priorities were:
  • A week of summer camp
  • A week of Vacation Bible School
  • Social Skills Development
  • Weekly playdates for friendship skills
  • Swimming Lessons
  • Work on Academics
  • Get daily aerobic exercise
Some of these were simple by finding out when his age group went to camp.  I just filled in the dates.  Others required more research. Will I hire a tutor (who) or will I work with him on academics? When will this occur and where?  How can I make sure that we are consistent?  I will have to schedule, plan, orchestrate and oversee playdates.  If I wanted to teach my son friendship skills also, I would have to do even more planning.


Planning can be simple or quite involved.  It will take both kinds to help your child grow in some areas of deficits.  It will also help your child to experience new and different things.  This is important or he may only want to do his most preferred activities. I always had the goal to widen my son’s interest by expanding his opportunities.