Image Map

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Words #1 Proverbs 15:1-2

Today we begin a new devotional series looking at the words spoken daily.  As a parent of a child with learning differences as well as children with no significant challenges, I’ve learned my words are important.  I must be conscious of what I say and how I say it. Many things I do, contribute to how I communicate to others, including my children.  Today’s verses are Proverbs 15:1-2.


A gentle answer turns away wrath,
   but a harsh word stirs up anger.
A gentle answer turns away wrath.  Enough said.  If we treat our children with consideration and speak with kindness, it causes a difficult situation to become much better.  Conversely, if we speak with a sharpness, it is perceived negatively and it can stir up anger.  Gentle speech diffuses a situation where harshness makes anger grow.
This is not easily done.  If a person has practiced harshness in the way she speaks, this will take a lot of work and discipline to break this habit. It is worth the work, as the amount of conflict in the family is likely to decrease.  We all love having family life with less negative interaction.