Image Map

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Choices: Marriage and Beyond

I have read the verse in the New Testament that tells me, “Do not be unequally yoked.”  I remember youth conference speakers and pastor’s talking about this.  Fortunately, the principle set in.  I married a godly man who has spent the last 25+ years as a pastor.  I’m also thankful this sunk into my children.  Both of my married children have spouses who love the Lord. I have seen the wisdom of this in the book of Genesis this week.

In Genesis 26 it states in verses 34-35
34 When Esau was forty years old, he married Judith daughter of Beeri the Hittite, and also Basemath daughter of Elon the Hittite. 35 They were a source of grief to Isaac and Rebekah.

Wow, choices I make don’t just affect me.  Esau’s made choice to marry women who didn’t share his faith in the One True God but worshiped idols from the religious system they were raised.  This kind of choice influenced Esau and the children that were born into that family and carrying on the heritage of worshiping the God of Abraham and Isaac. It also had a bearing on the extended family of Isaac and Rebekah.  The passage says these women were a source of grief to Isaac and Rebekah.  No wonder, a few verses later Isaac and Rebekah, sent their son, Jacob, to Rebekah’s relatives to find a wife who shared a faith in God, who they worship.  

This is a powerful reminder of the importance to marry someone that shares the faith as you do.  It is also an example for many other areas of life.  My choices may have a long standing effect on many others…...so make sure they are the wisest course of action that honors God.