Image Map

Monday, May 23, 2016

It Takes a ...........Family!

I was in a school meeting last week and amid the discussion, a professional said, "it takes a village" when this child's interventions were shared. I often hear that phrase related to raising a child with a disability or learning difference. As I reflect back the last 21 years of my son's life, I have to ask the question, "what has it taken or whom has it taken to help us raise our son?"

As I prepare to take my son to college orientation next week, it is a perfect time to think, "how did we get here?" Well, we had a lot of help, that's for sure. First, there was our elementary school counselor who we trusted. She not only was wonderful for our son but for my husband and I. She knew how hard to push confused parents. There were a multitude of teachers. Some were amazing from day one. Others learned over many months. Some were resistant at first but when they embraced new ways of working with our son over time.

There were professionals in the community that made such a difference. There was the therapist who diagnosed my son. She also understood him in ways that were beyond explanation. She spent time with my husband and I giving us information that helped us become better parents. There were others that taught him social skills and anxiety reducing coping skills.

There were families at school and church that embraced Isaac. Parents taught their children how to accept and include someone who marched to the beat of a different drum. He had a few friends and escaped the bullying that many kids like him deal with on a daily basis.

Isaac was in a small group during high school at church and he loved going. It was the same guys for all four years of high school. They had the same leader for three of those years.

I can't say enough about my other children and their spouses. They have been more than wonderful. They come and hang out with him regularly. My husband and I have always been able to take some time away. We always had friends who would give us a break and take our children over night. Now, my girls check in with their brother often when my husband and I are out of town.

Now back to the original question. It took a lot more than a village to raise our son. It has really taken a lot of people who cared and loved our entire family. They actually loved us like family. I think it took a "big family" to raise our son. I am grateful to God for this provision of people who have become like family!