Image Map

Monday, February 24, 2014

Advocating Through the Years 1

Many years ago, ten years to be exact, our son received a diagnosis on the autism spectrum.  My life of serious advocating began!  It was a world I had to feel my way through.  There were no real guidebooks.  Where was I to begin.  I had to begin with what I knew.

  1. I had to align my will to God's will.  This was the first step to me advocating in love rather than anger.  People don't Respond well to an angry mother.
  2. Pray to God for wisdom, strength and help.  I knew that God responds to pray.
  3. Search the scripture for promises and assurance of his love, care, strength and help.
  4. I had to begin my research from TRUSTED autism sources to learn all I could to prepare me to advocate.  It's important to get sound information not just look for what WE want to hear.
  5. I listened to the psychologist who diagnosed my son as she was well regarded by other professions in our community.  I did what she said.  I read what she suggested.  I asked her advice and followed it.
In the coming weeks I will share some of the stories of my advocating steps over the last ten years.