Image Map

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Spring Break: Rest is A Gift from God

I am sitting in my favorite breakfast spot but in a different location than I usually go.  I'm on spring break.  So I'm sitting here in southern California.  The weather is PERFECT.  This winter anything above 0 is perfect so this is almost better than perfect.  I want to step away from Gideon this week and reflect on the beautiful things God has shown in this time away from home.
Exodus 33:14
And he said, "My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest."


1.  A break from routine is a gift from God.  He gave us that gift each week in the sabbath.  The question I ask myself....am I disciplined to take these breaks?  Am I obedient enough to the Lord to take the breaks He gives?  It kind of stings when I look look at it this way.
2.  Relationships are important and need special times to nurture them.  In the hustle and bustle of everyday life it's hard to maintain relationships, much less, deepen them.  Since my children are grown, my husband and I did Spring Break by ourselves.  It was great.  We were able to connect with each other and just spend time together without the stresses of home and work.  We were able to connect with old friends who live in California that we don't often take time to e-mail, phone or text.  The wonderful time we had was enhanced by great weather and tremendous displays of God's creation.
3.  Responsibilities that I have at home were suspended for a few days so I could do other things including just relaxing.  It's amazing how the lack of a to-do list refreshes me in ways that are beyond explanation.
4.  Everyone of my children survive quite nicely.  There was some advocating I needed to do for my son but everything turned out fine.
5.  As a mom, it takes discipline to relax.  I'm learning.  This week was a great move in that direction.

May I encourage you to receive the gifts of rest that God gives as it is part of his plan for our lives.