Image Map

Monday, April 14, 2014

I Know You Are Tired, But............

Advocating is extremely hard work.  There are times that you have to take a rest. Do it, if it's necessary for your own mental health.  I have certainly taken some breaks.   When I refused to take breaks, God took over and made sure I took a break.  Usually it was illness.  Keep a watch on your own stress level.  Your child will benefit from these breaks.

Don't allow the breaks to last too long, though!  It's easy once I take a break to extend it and become apathetic or lazy in advocating.  I have learned breaks are good, but they need to be a break, not a lifestyle.  

I often have to give my son, some reminders about video games and computers.  He would live on those things.  It would be his "activity diet" if it was up to him.  I need to remind him that they are a relaxing break from real life.  Real life is terribly hard for him.  He has to try to figure out what to do and how to do it.  It comes naturally to others but not to him.  Video games are a enjoyable and predictable way that he can relax.  It is a break so his anxiety lowers so he's ready to go back out and tackle the unpredictable world of real life.  

The same is true for his mama.  I need to take a break and relax a little so I'm rejuvenated enough to go back out there in my role as advocate.