Image Map

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Toys, Toys, Toys!

Why is a mom of grown children writing on the ins and outs of toy storage? Well, toys are a big part of my work with children that have learning differences and THEY TAKE UP A LOT OF SPACE!! In the last 5 years I have resurrected many of my children's toys out of our basement. I've collected a lot of new toys, too! I have had to figure out how to store them so they are easy to find. It hasn't been easy but I have found a system that seems to work.

I have shelves in the closets of all our bedrooms and I have bins lined up on the shelves. I have seen the same type of bins put on the shelves of a bookshelf so they are easily reached by children. Here are the bins that I use. I line the shelves with different sizes of these sterilite bins. They come in several sizes but I use the large and extra large sizes. There are handles on both ends so they are easy to carry.

I organize by toy categories. Here are some my bins categories

Blocks

Reading

PegboardSocial skills

Lacing toys

Speech/language


I store games and hands on manipulatives and school supplies in a two different types of sterilite drawer systems. Here are the two systems. One is a modular system where drawers can be added and stacked.

 

This one is a a multidrawer storage unit. It is very sturdy and is used to store board games.

 

If you have a child who has collections of small items use small buckets to store.


The last step is to label all drawers, bins and buckets. Picture/words or both.
 

Organization will help everyone feel more in control.