Image Map

Monday, November 10, 2014

Therapy Moms are UnSung Heroes

As I work with "Therapy Moms" everyday, I am amazed by these women. These women are the heroes of my life. They often don't sleep much and live life pulled in more ways than can be imagined. Therapy sessions, hours on the phone with insurance companies, case workers, therapy providers and the list goes on. Advocating for school is a huge task, as well. Not to mention, they have a life beyond their special needs child. There are the needs of other children and a husband. For those that are single moms, the needs of everything falls on them. I forgot to mention, shopping, meals, paying bills and often work full time.

There is one more thing that makes these women fall into the category of an "unsung hero." It is summed up in the picture below.

This woman, Temple Grandin, had a mom who figured out how to reach her daughter so she could reach great heights. I'm sure it was a very confusing and overwhelming task at times. That didn't stop her. I see that kind of tenacity every day as mothers do the difficult work of helping a special needs child reach his/her potential. It's done one therapy appointment at a time. It's done by working on scissor skills when it seems like an useless endeavor. You've endured the umpteenth meltdown at the grocery store where you KNOW that everyone thinks you are just a BAD mom! If you are reading this and are a therapy mom, you know exactly what I mean. You've been there. I have too! I see it daily with the families I serve in my work. I want to salute you for what you do every minute.

YOU HAVE MY RESPECT!!