Image Map

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

More Than a Benediction

Ephesians 3:2-21New International Version (NIV)

20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

Many times, a scriptural prayer is quoted by the pastor at the end of a worship service. My husband does not do this regularly but he has done it many times in the 30 years of his pastoral ministry. Often it is a blessing that is prayed over the congregation from scripture. These verses are ones that I have heard as a benediction many times.

The verses are used because they communicate how powerful God is. It is a wonderful way to leave a service knowing how great the God I follow is. He goes with me into every circumstance I face. When I leave a worship service, I don't leave God at the church building. He goes with me. What an encouragement.

I am reminded that God can do more (much much more) than my mind can conceive. Not just God's power to meet my need but that power is at work in me. The Holy Spirit resides in me and everyone who trusts Christ as Savior. Wow! It's enough to overwhelm a person. God is so faithful to his people!

What do I say to this? It's right there is verse 21. to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. Praise, glory and honor. Not just me but everyone now and in the future because it is right! He is Worthy!