Image Map

Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The Secret to Great Relationships

Phillipians 2:5

In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus.

Relationships are great. Friends and family help meet the need for community with others. It is a need deep within each person. The need for connection with another human being. If this is not met it causes loneliness and stress.

As wonderful and necessary as relationships are, they also can cause stress. There are disagreements, hurt feelings, strong words and misunderstanding. The brain and the heart often have a hard time dealing with the intricate nature of relationships.

What is the answer? It is found in the next verse. Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage. Oh, this is how human relationships should be handled. Jesus didn't demand every right and privilege that He possessed. Let's see what else this passage says. rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death-- even death on a cross! These verse tell how Jesus humbled himself to provide for people who didn't deserve the salvation he secured. He did it anyway. He was willing to put the relationship higher than his equality with God.

Wow, how often to I take this attitude of Christ in my human relationships? Not often enough! Though I never do it like Jesus did, Phillipians 2:5 tells me that is the goal. I have long way to go but I am thankful God gives me the Bible to show me what I need as the goal!