Image Map

Thursday, November 12, 2015

Ready, Set, Play

As a home interventionist/tutor, I hear a number of comments on a regular basis.

  • I wished I had known you 5 years ago.
  • I didn't ever think about language issues? I always thought speech was about articulating words correctly.
  • I concentrated on academic issues like ABC's, numbers, shapes and colors. I had no idea there was so many other areas that she needed.
  • What are sensory issues?
  • How do I get rid of these behaviors?
  • These repetitive behaviors are so upsetting.
What is another way to deal with your child's developmental delays? PLAY, PLAY, PLAY ! Seriously? So what kind of things do I need to concentrate on when I play with my child?


  1. It should be fun. Enjoyment will help everyone to want to play.
  2. It should develop shared attention.
  3. It should concentrated on shared communication
  4. It should nurture social reciprocity.
  5. It should be at the right developmental level for your child.

Over the next few weeks, let's dig into why, how, how much and what of play! It may help your child in greater ways than is imaginable.