Image Map

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

How to Handle a Child's Anxiety

I was recently at a social event with a child I know who has anxiety in many situations. I asked her where the bathroom was located and she was happy to show me. As I went into the bathroom, she yelled, "Don't worry, the toilets flush by themselves!" I had to smile as I told her, "Thanks for letting me know."

Of course, I have no trouble with self flushing toilets and neither does she but she used to be anxious about that. There is not one perfect way to help a child deal with situations that bring on fear and anxiety. The event may seem so small but that doesn't matter. Anxiety may be caused by something that makes no sense to me but it is real to the child.

First, it is good to recognize the things that cause a child stress and anxiety. Sometimes, it is good to avoid that situation. Other times reassurance that everything is ok, in spite of the situation, is the best approach.

Second, it may take a significant amount of time and patience to lower a child's anxiety. There will be a lot of trial and error looking for the perfect strategy. It takes patience each it occurs. It also takes time and patience to help a child to overcome anxiety that is caused by things like self flushing toilets.

Finally, with patience, a calm demeanor and a strong relationship, a parent can help a child overcome and deal with situations and things that bring out anxiety.