Image Map

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Interventions Step 2

Today, let’s cover one way to “get going” with some of the things that therapists and professionals have said need to be done. If you are like me, many times they just don't happen. Why? In my life it was usually because I didn't sit down and make a plan on how to accomplish them. After that, I needed to execute it. But if there is no plan, there is nothing to execute. I will share a couple examples from my life.

When I’ve planned, I set up priorities for a certain time period.

When I’m planning for the summer, I used a calendar and write in things I know will be happening.( I use the same approach for other times of the year). I look at the schedule and think about what else my son may need. For example when he was younger I knew vacation dates. I knew dates when school ended and began. I needed to figure out the rest. Some of my summer priorities were:

A week of summer camp

A week of Vacation Bible School

Social Skills Development

Weekly playdates for friendship skills

Swimming Lessons

Work on Academics

Get daily aerobic exercise

Some of these were simple by finding out when his age group went to camp. I just filled in the dates. Others required more research. Will I hire a tutor (who) or will I work with him on academics? When will this occur and where? How can I make sure that we are consistent? I needed to schedule, plan, orchestrate and oversee playdates. If I wanted to teach my son friendship skills also, I would have to do even more planning. Though, these can be worked on during other times of the year, it is harder. It takes a lot more thought to figure out how to accomplish all of these with the busyness of school. It's important to work on some of these during the school year but it may not be possible to handle each one. Summer allows for this with the additional time in the day without school. It is great to start thinking through your summer plan. It may seem early but it takes work to get all of these things scheduled considering you have other children, most likely.

Planning can be simple or quite involved. It will take both kinds to help your child grow in some areas of deficits. It will also help your child to experience new and different things. This is important or he may only want to do his most preferred activities. I always had the goal to widen my son’s interest by expanding his opportunities.

Let me know how you do the simple planning and the detailed and involved planning. It takes both kinds to help a child develop in many areas. I would love to hear what is working in your home,