Image Map

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Don't Be Afraid to Seek Help

This life of special needs parenting is hard work on the best days. On really hard days, it feels like I can't do this. Have you ever said, "where do I go to resign?" Well. I have. My husband once told me, you can't but you can do it for a day. Take the day off and go do what you want and don't come back early!" That is one of the reasons I am standing today! My husband knew when I couldn't take any more and made sure I got a break. It has saved my sanity more than once.

Not everyone has a husband who even knows you need that. Maybe you need something very different. Possibly you have no idea what you need so let me offer you a few ideas to consider.

  • A girlfriends or sisters weekend away.
  • Staying home by yourself while your husband or a friends takes your children somewhere
  • Watching a movie in the basement by yourself
  • A regular date night with a babysitter
  • See a professional counselor to help you manage the stress you feel
  • A cleaning person a couple times a month
  • Regular childcare especially during the summer
  • A pampering (manicure, massage ect)
  • Respite providers
  • Tutor for your child
  • Assistance in navigating the special needs life

Life is stressful. A mom has to be able to manage life for the long haul. A little bit of extra support may make an enormous difference in managing the stress that comes with parenting and navigating this special needs journey.