Image Map

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Join the Family: A Beautiful Thing

An interesting thing happened this week. My son and I were in a Mexican restaurant eating chips and salsa. In between bites, he asked me if I knew anyone that was adopted. My mind was racing with questions about my son's sudden interest in adoption. I thought if I asked all my questions, I might lose the beauty,of the moment so I answered him by saying, "yes." I went on to explain that many of the children I work with have been adopted. He was a bit confused because he thought that autism was the challenge that most of my clients faced. I went on to explain a few things about adoption and the early life trauma that often occurs in these children's lives. He struggled to understand how biological parents could do certain things that would put a child's life in danger. We talked about this for a little while so he could get a handle on the challenges that often occur.

My son went on and said, "I have always thought that adoption is really beautiful." My brain was spinning now. My son is a rigid thinker and doesn't like to talk about things at an emotional level. He is interested in information and likes to keep things logical. He had just made a spontaneous comment about adoption as it has struck him emotionally. As a mom, this is a really big deal because of the expression of emotion and the fact that my son has thought deeply about this. That is my disability mom hat. My other mom hat is that of a mom who wants her child to know and love the things of God. To me this was an equally beautiful thing.

At this moment, I knew that my son understood the relationship of a child being received into a family with no merit of his own. He knows scripture and loves the truth of the Bible. He has read the verses about a person coming into the family of God by grace through faith. If there is one thing I know, he believes it! My son went on to explain, "I have always thought it was beutiful for a family to include people who were not born into it but include them as part of the family."

Some of the verses he knows are probably familiar to you. For some of us it takes a while to put all the pieces together. Over time, it will happen. God's word does not return void. so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose Is 59:11.

For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!" Romans 8:15

For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:26

and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him. Romans 8:17

so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. Titus 3:7

So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God's household, Ephesians 2:19

Let me encourage you to keep taking in the Word of God daily. It may not seem like it is making a difference. It may not feel like you are receiving much from it. It will show fruit over time. I saw this so very clearly this week.