Image Map

Monday, April 4, 2016

Mom, You are a Professional!!

We often go to all kinds of places, school, meetings, therapy and meet with professionals. I just want every mom to realize that she is every bit as much of a professional as anyone else.

As a mom, I sought advice from many professionals. I listened to them but I didn't always agree. I was different. Each of them had studied and entered a professional that served children with special needs. I had entered motherhood. My goal wasn't to serve anyone else's child but to love, support and help my child to become all he was meant to be.

At some point, I realized that no one would ever love my son the way my husband and I did. No one else will lay awake at night praying and thinking, "how will we get past this current hurdle." It was my job, responsibility and desire to help make it happen for my son. I realized I AM a professional. I know more about my son than anyone he sees for therapy, tutoring or at school. I live with him, understand so much about him and care about his life and future. You see, there's a strong maternal love that develops for any child. It is a fierce love that develops when a mom has to be the voice for her child. That child might develop her own advocating voice but a mom is still there to cheer her on. Sometimes parents have to continue to be the voice for this child long after others have learned to self advocate.

As a parent advocate, never doubt that YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL! You are the best kind....one who would do what ever it takes to help your child succeed.