Image Map

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Organizing for Independence

I am be taking a break from the organizing for independence series. I will be sharing in the next few weeks about the organization I put together for my son as he goes away to college. These systems may be helpful for older children living at home or who go to an extended stay type camp or program for several weeks. The ideas could be implemented when grandparents or other people care for your children when you are away for a few days. I think these ideas would work well for anyone, including students without learning differences.

I found so many things online for how to pack for college. Most of them were "over the top" lists. The last thing my son needed was the ultimate college packing lists. I was overwhelmed by these so I knew he would not be able handle all of that stuff. I started looking at guys packing lists. Finally, I looked at some blog posts for the minimalist college student. I synthesized and individualized the information to my son. After a little work, I came up with a packing list that I thought was right for him. It has changed a little over the last couple of months. I started in May researching and purchasing items on the list. Starting a few months early has really helped me immensely. One thing, I have learned in the special needs journey is that having margins helps keep me from melting down. Our child isn't the only one who melts down, right?

Next week I'll start sharing the organization I've done for my son's dorm room. I'd love to have you join me!