Image Map

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Empty-Nest , Yeh!

Life is changing! Honestly, it has been for the last 10 years. In this time, I sent my daughters off to college. After that, study abroad programs, graduation and first real jobs. They have had weddings so we have son-in-laws joining our family. When they were busy with these next steps in life, I was advocating for my son in junior high and high school. It was a challenging road helping an older child with learning differences. A child in early intervention grows up. My role as mom changes. It is hard to gracefully assert influence and encourage a child continue in his growth and development.

 

My son was one of those students who didn't fit into special education. But school without supports was not the right fit, either. He was capable of doing any subject but he needed some accommodations. Very few high school physics or English Literature teachers have had a lot of students that receive accommodations. I know this because I learned little by little and step by step the things my son needed to succeed and advocated for them. This was quite the learning curve for this mama! I needed to figure out how his learning disabilities intersected with his gifted areas. It was a very demanding position to serve as his advocate while encouraging him to take on this role for himself.

Honestly, I felt like giving up so many times when it seemed hard and frustrating. I tried to figure what my son needed. That was no small task. Then I needed to convince and encourage school personnel to give him the accommodation he needed (or at least what I thought he needed).

Today, 3 years after high school graduation, my husband and I are empty nesters. It took a little longer than with my daughters. Join me, over the next few weeks. I will share the road to empty nest for a family with a child that has diagnosed learning differences.