Image Map

Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Structure and Predictability in Emotional Regulation:The Amazing 5 Point Scale

As a mom and in an my work providing behavioral services, I have seen a few hundred temper tantrums and meltdowns. I used to think they were the same thing. Not any more. After my third child was born and eventually diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder, I saw crying, whining, yelling and stomping for the smallest irritations. This had been going on for years. These were meltdowns. Other children had developed emotional regulation in the preschool years but my son was in second grade by the time he was diagnosed. His lack of emotional control led us to seek out professional help to understand what was going on with our son.

Emotional control: self regulation skills between inhibition and initiation
Behavior inhibition “can’t stop when asked, cognitive inhibition includes daydreams and being off topic,
Behavior initiation is getting started with something different

There are three areas that affect a person’s abilities to have emotional control. It is a crucial building block to all executive functioning skills including attention, working memory, organization, planning and problem solving. Key skills essential to the development of emotional control are illustrated on this triangle.













Social perspective taking
Self monitoring and affect
Impulse control, adaptability, cognitive flexibility inhibition/initiation

Over many years, I have looked for interventions that would help my son and others develop emotional control. One resource that is a “go to” I have found to help children learn skills is the Amazing Five Point Scale.

This scale looks like a thermometer and helps child, especially visual learners, develop a plan and visual cue for self monitoring emotional control. It does not specifically target perspective taking but it incorporates understanding what behavior should be in various situations. Once a child understands what are the socially expected behaviors, it will be easier to teach social perspective taking. This can be done with talking and thought bubbles. “When I do this, is that what I should be doing? “ If the child isn’t doing what is appropriate or socially expected, what impression is he making to others? How is this affecting others? Could this be pushing potential friends away?

I know there is a movement to allow children with diagnosed disabilities to be accepted for exactly who they are. I wanted that for my son, as well. I knew he would not grow out of autism and he needed people to accept him and his uniqueness. At the same, I knew he needed to develop just like any other child to reach his full potential. Emotional control was one the areas he needed in order to grow and develop in so many other areas.













This is the book that explains the various uses of the scale. One of the authors, Kari Dunn Buron and and creator of the Amazing 5 Point Scale has a website that explains the what’s and why’s of the scale. http://www.5pointscale.com

I use a free resource created by Kathryn Whitaker based on the scale when I teach it to children. I love this resource because it gives forms to use, instructions, samples and portable visual Supports. Download this resource, print and start using it.
http://socialskillslab.wikispaces.com/file/view/The+Stress+Scale+Thermometer.pdf

As I teach the 5 Point Scale, I define each part of the scale using the number and color. I find that yellow/3 is the most important aspect that a child must understand. I explain it as when “you look great on the outside/your behavior but on the inside you are not feeling ok. You barely can hold your behavior/emotions together. Once a child can identify what a yellow/3 feels like and what to do to move down the scale, I find most children make progress developing emotional control.

I would love hearing others experiences with the Amazing 5 Point Scale and teaching a child emotional control.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad