Image Map

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Mother as Advocate

This week leads up to Mother's Day. The posts this week will center in on the roles that a mom plays in the life of a child with learning differences. Today let's talk about mom as Advocate. 
 

As a mom, I advocate almost everyday. My son is away at college so it is the least I've ever done. It might be talking him though something that heightens his anxiety. It might be an email to the autism program graduate assistant. In fact I just got off the phone with her and my son. We were problem solving various ways of handling three final exams on one day. Advocating looks different these days. Many times I advocate while including my son as a way of modeling things he needs to do himself.

As a mom, you advocate at least once a day with the school, a dance teacher or a child care provider. More likely, you may advocate at least once an hour. It is tiring, demanding and often overwhelming. Advocating takes tremendous patience, gentleness while being assertive and strong diplomatic skills. Perseverance is absolutely essential. I'm not telling you anything you don't know. Advocating is one of the most difficult and important roles you play.

This is a week of celebrating mothers. Today, I want to tell you that the advocating you are doing makes an enormous difference. You are helping your child to have environments that are best. Your advocating is teaching others what this child needs. It is a way that your child will progress...one step at a time.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad