Image Map

Friday, April 5, 2013

Break Through! Oh Yeah!


 I remember when thought my son would never be able to……..Fill in the blank.  If I’m honest, I could write a very long list of these things.  Every so often, there was a breakthrough moment.

What’s a breakthrough…it’s the first time my son did something.  It could have been a skill like recognizing when he needed to go to the bathroom or tie his shoe without any help.   It could have been a social/emotional skill such as eating at a new restaurant without any hesitation. He may have been adapting to a sudden change in routine with no upset. These are just a few examples.

Be encouraged when it happens . It may be a while until it occurs again.  It will!  Over time, this breakthrough will slowly become the norm.  There will be new breakthrough moments and it too will happen with greater frequency until it happens more often than not.   Once it happens, a parent knows it is possible.  What a great encouragement.