I
press on toward the goal to win the prize for God has called me heavenward in
Christ Jesus.
Where is the term to
“press on” used? Well, I often hear it
in reference to stickers. The directions
often say, “Just peel off the paper on the back and press on the sticker and it
will adhere to most any surface.” Nice thought, but I'm quite sure I need to look further for another word picture to illustrate this verse.
Well, where else do I hear
the term “press on?” Oh, yes when it
comes to athletics, particularly running.
The coach tells the athletic to “stay the course,” “focus on the prize,”
or “press on.” I might be on to something with this word picture. It certainly could be
applied to the difficulties of life.
I press on toward a
goal. What goal? The Apostle Paul’s goal was to win the
prize. It is a prize that God has
called heavenward in Christ Jesus. God
has a prize for us to attain as we fulfill His calling to be eternity
focused.
As the old hymn says,
“Earth is not our home, we’re only passing through.” In decision making, always keep an eternal
perspective.