Image Map

Friday, September 6, 2013

Allowing Differences



I can remembering coming home from a women’s gathering with some friends.  I asked my husband, “What’s wrong with me.”  They love decorating, working in flower gardens, throwing big social events at their homes.  I hate all of these things.”  He gently told me, “There’s absolutely nothing wrong with You.’
As I look back at my life, I realize I wasn’t always comfortable in my own skin.  I went through times of thinking I needed to be like someone else.  I also went through a season of wanting others to be like me.  It took time and maturity before I was comfortable with how God made me to be me. 
I remember being at a church event a couple of years ago and seeing the beautiful job a woman I knew had done decorating for an event.  Afterwards, I went up to her and said, “You and I have very different gifts but I’m so glad you can exercise yours the way you do. “  She said and “I’m glad you exercise yours the way you do.”  This is what “allowing yourself and others” to be different is all about.