Image Map

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

So What's Working Memory?



 Working Memory:  holds information in memory long enough to do something with it.  Think of it as your “desktop.”
Short term working memory – Can I remember a phone number long enough to dial it? 
Long-term working memory- Can I remember math facts that I have worked on for the last month?
Verbal working memory-to hold language “online” while doing “self talk” or inner dialogue. “It’s ok that I forgot what I was going to say for this point of the speech."  Once that type of self-talk is finished….he can get on with the speech without forgetting what comes next. Language based difficulties include blurting for children who have trouble in this area.  It requires the use of phonemic awareness(sound).  She may repeat a phone number over and over while she gets ready to dial it. 
Non-verbal working memory enables one to have a sense of time (what does 10 minutes feel like), sees mental visual image, ability to see in hindsight and foresight.
 Visual-spatial working memory works as a kind of visual sketchpad of the brain. It allows you to envision something, to keep it “visually in your brain.” Students use this skill to do math and to remember patterns, images and sequences of events.
Symptoms of Working Memory Deficits
·        Abandons activities before completing them
·        Looks like he's daydreaming
·        Fails to complete assignments
·        Puts up a hand to answer questions but forgets what she wanted to say (This is typical for a five-year-old, but not for an 11-year-old, for example.)
·        Mixes up material inappropriately, for example, combining two sentences
·        Forgets how to continue an activity that he's started, even though the teacher has explained the steps
  
Working memory may play into learning problems more than other "below the water line" learning areas.  I'd love to hear comments on this subject.