Image Map

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

A Time to .......Heal

Ecclesiastes 3. "There is a time to Kill and a Time to Heal."

Ok, here we go in trying to figure out what this means. Let me tell you I was tempted to skip this verse and go straight to the next one. But that would be cheating. Sometimes the Bible has tough passages and a Christian's job is to wrestle with these. I will not come to any hard fast conclusions on there is a time to kill before the end of this post. With this said, let me address a few things that are important when coming to a passage that causes some uneasiness.

  1. Recognize God's Word is True and without error!
  2. Understand that there is usually more to understanding it than a casual glance will bring.
  3. It takes work to understand it but with that work and the Holy Spirit, prayer, God does reveal truth to each of us when we lack understanding
  4. The theologian R.C. Sproul has said when a person comes to a passage and something in it seems not quite right to a person's think! it is an opportunity to grow. Either this person's thinking is wrong or God is wrong. The answer is the person's thinking is a bit off, not God's. This person must wrestle with the scripture and thus grow in understanding as his mind is aligned to God.
Thankfully, the second part of the verse is much easy to wrap my mind around. There is a time to heal."

That verse is really encouraging. I know I have prayed for many people including those in my own family. Many times these prayers are for healing. It may be for healing, a proper diagnosis, mental health issues or many other difficulties. When I pray I want there to be hope for healing and this scripture tells me there is. In fact, there is a time for healing. God says is and that gives me hope as I pray. I do want to make a note here. It doesn't tell me when the healing will come and if it will come on this side of heaven. I always need to keep in mind that God has His own timing when it comes to healing. I am not in control of it. It helps me to know that God says there is a time for healing. That will keep me praying!