Image Map

Monday, December 15, 2014

I Resolve to Choose Joy

 


Christmas is around the corner. But around what corner? One of my struggles raising a child with disabilities was dealing with the special things, like Christmas activities. My son liked everything predictable. Well, Christmas was far from predictable. I still needed to be concerned with his needs while helping create special memories for the rest of the family. I think you see the dilemma I often faced. There were times I wanted to throw my hands in the air and go in a corner and hide. Have you ever felt this way? I bet you have! It's just part of the special needs parenting world.
What is a woman to do? Running a household is a full time job. Orchestrating the details of a family Christmas is a full time job. Parenting a child with special needs is really a full time job. Being a wife, mother, daughter and sister is more than a full time job especially this time of year. Besides all of these, many women have a full or part time job outside the home. It is all too much. It is physically, mentally and emotionally exhausting. I can handle one of those but not all three. This is when I'm in the corner in a fetal position. Do you relate?
I know this response isn't going to accomplish anything productive. I need to do something to get myself through the next few days. One step, I have found helpful is doing something old fashioned: make a resolution. A Puritan early American preacher, Jonthan Edwards, wrote many things he resolved to do. I'm busy enough this time of year that one resolution daily is enough. I have chosen to make this resolution to choose joy every single day. I want to get up every morning and remembering the scripture verse, "this is the day the Lord has made, Let us rejoice and be glad in it." I know this verse but I am resolving to apply this verse each and every day even on these very busy days of the Christmas season!