Image Map

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Filling The Empty Places of My Life

Do you ever feel empty amidst lots of activity? I certainly do! I have some "go to" passages in the book of John that help me look at the source and often the solution to those empty places. God has used the concept of light and darkness in this book to help me understand how to deal with the empty places deep within me. The emptiness may be caused by sin by myself or others. It may be because of life's circumstances. No matter what causes them, The book of John has been a source of encouragement and hope. The book begins....

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome[a] it.

Jesus is the Word. He,as the second person of the Trinity, is eternal. He has always existed with God the Father. Jesus is the Creator. He gave life to Adam and everyone since. He gave light in creation as seen in the book of Genesis. He gave us physical light. He also gives spiritual light. This light shines in the darkness. It overtakes darkness. Light has dominion over the darkness.

A few years ago, our family was trying to find a group of people at a campground at night. It was in the country with no light around. We were scared by the darkness because there was no way to see where we were going. There may of been animals or snakes along the trail. There were so many unknowns trying to find our way in the darkness. My husband had a flashlight on his cell phone. When he turned it on, we were able to see where the path was and If there was anything we needed to avoid ahead of us. The darkness was overtaken by the light.

As I look at the deep places of my heart I must never be afraid to bring sin and other ugliness into the light of the living Word, Jesus and the written Word of scripture. Allow the light to expose any darkness. It may feel scary at first but it is the way peace and fulness of God's Spirit.

A friend of our family, Gary Rosberg, who along with his wife, Barb coaches couples on the subject of christian marriage. Gary often says don't be afraid to bring darkness into the light. The darkness is ten exposed by the light. Once it is in the light, it can be dealt with. This is the only way I can deal with the empty places of my life.