Image Map

Sunday, April 19, 2015

College

Image courtesy of imagerymajestic at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

You might say, college advocacy? What? Here are some possible responses.

  • My child is only 10.
  • My daughter has an intellectual disability.
  • My child hasn't even begun transition services on his IEP.
  • How will I ever teach him all the skills he needs to be able to enroll in college.
  • I can't keep up with what we are trying to do now let alone plan for the future.
  • Her teachers don't think that post secondary's education is a possibility.

This past weekend I attended a workshop on post secondary education for students with disabilities. Over the next few weeks I will be sharing resources and information from that training. The one thing that was shared many times was this: a child's ability to attend college is born out of the parent's expectations. If a parent believes it's possible and communicates that belief, the likelihood of it happening increases dramatically.

Come join me as we discuss this important subject and look at how the questions above fit into the planning for college. I'm looking forward to exploring this topic with you.