Image Map

Monday, August 31, 2015

Advocating: Harder or Smarter?

 

 

I often tell parents that a child with learning differences needs to work smarter not harder! The same is true for a parent who is advocating for her child. Over the next few weeks, we are going to look at some smarter strategies. What are ways to be most effective while not getting exasperated with the whole progress.

  1. How do you become a real "player" in your child's education.
  2. What kind of questions do I ask to know how things are going?
  3. What is the best school-parent form of communication?
  4. Dealing with school personnel who communicate verbal or nonverbally, "we can handle this without your help."
  5. How important are the "graphs" of data?
  6. Meetings. How do I move my child's program forward in this time when the team is present?
  7. Building the "Parent/child" part of the team?
  8. The measure of your own advocating. "Is my approach working?"

Join me as we look at being effective as a parent advocate on Mondays.