Image Map

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Talking to Your Child About Feedback Received

Ok, I work so hard to get the feedback I want to deal with the reality of my child's situation.  I also have to take that feedback and the feedback I receive from educators and providers and do something with it.  If a lot of the feedback is negative or overwhelming, my natural tendency is to get depressed and want to throw in the towel.  I have to resist that temptation.

There are things that I need to face.  There are decisions that my husband and I need to make about next steps.   What do I share with my child?  What do I share with my other children about their sibling. How do I talk to my child about his behavior?  What if he "freaks out?"  What if he won't admit he has physical or verbal aggressive behavior?

Well, pray for wisdom.  It will take to discern what to do and say.  It  also with take wisdom to know when to say it.  It may take many times of discussion before your child is ready to go there.  If it gets too ugly (you know exactly what I mean), just table the discussion and approach it at another time.  Do come back to it when he is calm.  He has to learn to have these difficult discussion so don't just forget about it.  My last suggestion is to have a calm demeanor even if he doesn't.  He takes cues from you and eventually your calm demeanor will help him to talk about difficult things.

Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day and this issue won't resolve itself quickly either.  Hang in there!