Image Map

Monday, March 17, 2014

Advocating: Is There Ever a Break?

Do you ever get tired of advocating for your child?  Well, if you are like me, the answer is sometimes yes but it depends when I hear the question.  There is a sense that the answer is no because I want my son to become all he can be. I love him so much that it is a privilege to be his advocate.  There is another sense that the answer is yes and no.  I would love to take a little vacation from advocating but if I do It seems nothing goes well. We lose ground and it takes a lot of effort to get where we were before I “let down.”  There is a final way that I wish I could go on vacation and not have to think about it for a few days.  

You see, I’m sitting on a beach in southern California far from the midwest cold.  It is beautiful but it’s almost impossible to take it all in and fully relax.  You see, my son is home and is sick.  When his ride came to get him to take to his community college class, they told him that he needed to skip class because he was pretty sick. The couple who told him that, e-mailed my husband.  We tried to call and my son’s phone was off.  I e-mailed him to give him instructions about connecting with his instructor since this was the last class before spring break.  

I was also e-mailing with a provider that is helping us with some life skills. We were talking about the content of next week’s sessions and what each of us needed to do to help our son get the most out of the sessions.  

It would be nice to just sit on the beach and take in the sights and sounds with no distractions.  Maybe someday, but that’s not my life right now.  I either embrace it or I will be a griping mom.  The embracing part will make me a happier person which in turn, makes me a pleasant person for my family and friends to be around.