Image Map

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

God is Bigger Than I Can Comprehend!

He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. Ecclesiastes 3:11b.

OLast week, we looked at the first half of this verse. Let's review a little so we have the context to examine the last phrase of the verse. God has placed a desire for the things of God and the eternal existence we are offered in each of our hearts. It has been said that each of us has a whole in our hearts that only God can fill. I have heard many testimonies of people who tell of a searching for a missing piece (and peace) in life before trusting in Christ and his finished work on the Cross for sin. I know I had a longing for something more (really it was someone- Jesus Christ) before I trusted Christ as Savior and Lord at age 15. I also know that when I try to live without a dependence on Christ and walk in my flesh rather than in the Spirit of God...my life is frustrating. Why? First of all I can't do life well without God being in control. I learn of another reason in this passage. It's because God has set eternity in my heart. Deep down I want to understand things of an eternal nature.

The verse continues telling me that even though God has put this desire for eternity in my heart, that is not the end. I always have to keep in perspective who God is and who I am. The verse communicates that my human and finite mind cannot begin to comprehend the works of God from all eternity past to the present. Here are a few scriptures that I have come across that I can't begin to fathom.

7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.

Psalm 397-10

12 Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand,
or with the breadth of his hand marked off the heavens?
Who has held the dust of the earth in a basket,
or weighed the mountains on the scales
and the hills in a balance? Isaiah 40:12

I learn that God is greater than I am (I should have that down by now) but I still need reminders. He is so much greater than I can even begin to comprehend. For this reason, I need to surrender and allow the creator of the Universe to direct my paths each and every day!