Image Map

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Less Creates More

Image courtesy of dan at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

John 15:2

He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.

Today, we must remember what Jesus said in verse 1 or verse 2 will make no sense to us. Jesus refers to God as the Gardner. He continues to tell us what the Gardner does. Jesus shares that "He cuts off every branch that bears no fruit." If there is a branch that isn't bearing fruit, it's out of here! If there is fruit, God prunes the branch and cuts off some so it will grow. Those that have been around gardening know this is how it works in order to produce a large crop.

So those of us that needed a farming lesson learned something and the rest of us had a review. Why is Jesus sharing this? Later in the passage we will see that this is just a word picture. We (regular people) are the branches. God has a plan for our lives. An author once said that we should see where God is working and then join him in that work. God desires for each of us to be fruitful in His Kingdom. That will look differently in all of our lives. God directs each of us to a work and He loves us so dearly that he will cut out things that our keeping us from this calling. He will prune us to insure we continue to bear fruit for the Gospel and our unique calling. Will this cutting and pruning be easy? Probably not! But we should always remember it's for our good and His glory!

Are you in a cutting off or pruning time? Commit yourself to the Lord realizing that He is sovereign. I have to remind myself that I only see in part but He is all knowing, all wise, all seeing and wants the absolute best for me. When I remember this, I know I am in the finest hands possible and it comforts me that I have the creator of the universe caring for me.

Today, let's let concentrate on the fact that God is unfolding a wonderful plan and he wants me accept and rest in this.