Image Map

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Parent as a Play Therapist

As a parent, I wanted my child to make progress. We found an excellent psychologist who diagnosed my son. She shaped the way I looked at helping him. She recommended other professionals and I pursued some of their services. She also handed me articles she had printed that were from the internet and books. She expected me to do a lot of research and intervention with my son. I did and he grew slowly at first but then results sped up. She expected my husband and I to become therapeutic parents. It worked. Today I train others in this style of parenting a child with special needs.

 

Recently, I went to a training. I have done tons of trainings through the last 13 years but this one was extra special for me. It was called The PLAY Project. I will dedicate several weeks of Thursday parenting posts to this intervention.

The PLAY Project trains parents as a home interventionist while still feeling like they are the mom and dad. I have heard some parents say, "I don't want to be my child's therapist. I just want to be the mommy." This is a way to keep the parent role and still see a child make progress. With the parents doing most of the intervention, the cost is quite minimal in comparison to programs that are therapist led. It is creating a therapeutic lifestyle to help children on the autism spectrum make progress. With that said, I think any child could benefit from this program. It trains parents not only in ways to help the child but builds confidence in the parent. I parent needs to believe, "I can do this!"

Join me as we explore the power of play in your child's life.