Image Map

Thursday, December 3, 2015

What Do You Want For Christmas?

I remember going to see Santa Claus as a little girl. There were lots of things involved. I had to stand in a long line and wait for my turn. Once I got to the front of the line, I had to try to remember what I had practiced when he asked the big question. He would ask me what I wanted for Christmas. Could I remember? I had been looking Christmas catalogues and watching Saturday morning cartoons to see what I might want for Christmas. I was influenced by ad campaigns just like children are today.

Over the next few weeks, I will bring some ideas of what to get the children you know for Christmas. I am going to ask a few questions to help parents think through what they want to accomplish through these presents. You may think, do they have to accomplish something? I write to an audience of parents who have children with learning differences. With this child, life is more therapeutic so a toy is a tool to help him make progress. I admit, this child needs a few toys just to chill out but not a whole room of these.

As I have been writing on play, I have concentrated on helping a child interact with others especially those in his family. Toys can be viewed in lots of ways: something to keep a child busy alone, something to do with another person or with a group. In December, I am going to talk about types of toys that can help children interact with others and be a source of relationship development.

As December begins, have a Great Christmas Season!