Image Map

Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Light for the Darkness

I love watching videos of those "over the top" Christmas light displays. Many times they are set to music and have lights flashing off and on. I remember driving around town looking at Christmas lights when I was a child(my mom was driving) and then with our children. So often, I don't stop to think about why certain traditions got started. There is nothing spiritual about a light display in someone's hard OR is there?

I haven't researched the history of lights at Christmastime but I am sure it began to represent Jesus. If that's not the case, send me a comment with the real explanation. Hopefully, no one will burst my bubble on this. In John 8:12 Jesus says, "I am the light of the World." Why would Jesus say this? Well, in the book of I John, John states, "God is light; in him there is no darkness." Alright, God is the definition of light. He is all light. Jesus, who is a member of the Trinity, was sent into the world to be light of heaven in a sin laden dark world. It only seems natural that he would say "I am the light of the world."

As I see lights all around me lighting up the darkness, this Christmas, I am going to make a conscious effort to think about Jesus being the Light of the World. Will you join me in using Christmas lights as a reminder of Jesus coming as the Light of the World?