Image Map

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Strategies for the New Year

The holidays are over. School has resumed. It's time for morning and evening routines to become like a well oiled machine. Children fare better with a well structured environment. Actually. Most children thrive on this type of routine. Why is there often such a fight to get them on a schedule now that school is back in session? Let's explore this.

It's easy for me to understand when I think about things I know I should do because they are good for me. I know I feel better when I exercise several times a week. I feel much better if I eat a balanced diet. I should cut sugar, caffeine and excessive fats. I feel great if I am more disciplined and stay on my healthy eating and exercise routine. What happens when I go on vacation?. My routine changes and I eat things that aren't particularly healthy. Exercise ceases to be a priority because it isn't convenient. It is usually a struggle for me to get back to my old routine once vacation is over. It's no different for children. They are use to "the new way" that has more freedom. There have been less rules which allows them more control. It is hard for them to to resist the temptation to fight.

It's worth the effort moving through the resistance. It is the best thing because these children's success in school is enhanced by a good schedule. The sooner the schedule of routines are resumed, the better everyone in the household will do.