Image Map

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Let it Go!

As a person, woman, mother, and in various roles I have been offended. I'm not special because so has everyone else who walks on the planet. In human relationships, offenses happen. When a person has experienced this often, her radar is up and it becomes easier with each difficult situation to have a strong emotional response. The scripture gives some counsel.

Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense. Proverbs 19:11

 

As a mom of a learning different child, I have had lots of opportunity to experience offense. There were the notes from teachers outlining a list of things my son did wrong that day. I saw adults who just saw behavior and I felt there was little empathy and understanding for my son. There were times that friends weren't interested in understanding my life. Sometimes I was confronted for not being involved in an activity that someone thought I should. I thought, "do they not realize what my life is like?" Other times, I felt offended when my son wasn't included. I can remember that it was suggested that Isaac not participate in activities. I was hurt, offended but mostly angry. I had crossed the line from offended to easily offended.

 

Winston Churchhill summed up what happens if I allow offenses to rule my life.

"You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.”

I learned, little by little, step by step, spending a lot of energy on being offended keeps me from doing important things. God has a plan and good works that He has planned for me. For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:10. Being easily offended puts emphasis on me, my troubles, and my world. Proverbs 19 shows that anger is the root of becoming offended. Learning to be slow to get angry is important. As anger comes slower, it is easier to overlook an offense. When an offense is overlooked, there is so much energy that isn't wasted and is available for important things outside of being focused on my hurts.

It is not easy to overcome anger, hurt and offense. It is a work of the Holy Spirit that will enable you to accomplish this. It may be a struggle but God will hear your prayers and grant freedom from being easily offended.

“For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to the yoke of slavery.”

 

Galatians 5:1



“Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.” 2 Corinthinans 3:17