Image Map

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Simplifying Hygiene Routines

As I have parented a child on the autism spectrum for the last 22 years, I have learned that complicated doesn't work for any type of routine. I especially found out that simple is the only way when it comes to hygiene. My son had fairly easily routines but when he went to college I knew they had to be even simpler. He would need to take his grooming supples to the hall bathroom in the dorm. What things should be down in the dorm room? As my husband and I talked about what was best for him, we went to the Internet. My son wouldn't want to put any effort into this. In fact, he probably would of told me that discussing this subject would be a waste of time!

My husband and I read reviews, blog posts and searched Amazon and Walmart websites for the best ideas. Living in 2016 is awesome for finding things and being able to order them without leaving our house. Here were some of our purchases.

 

A small mesh bag for the shower that was designed for the shower at the gym. It didn't have. Lot of room but it only needed to hold the following items.

https://www.amazon.com/Shower-Caddy-Tote-Ditty-Toiletries/dp/B004WGTB2G/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1475359205&sr=1-5&keywords=Shower+mesh+bag

  • 3 in One shampoo, conditioner and body wash for men. There are several brands of this. I put it in several 2-3 oz. flip top containers from the Container Store. I stored them in a plastic sterilite/rubber maid container. One was put in the mesh bag for the shower and the other containers can be switched to the mesh bag when current one is empty.
  • A small battery operated spinbrush tooth brush, a tube of toothpaste and disposable flossers.
  • Because of size, I chose a travel size deodorant for the mesh bag.
  • A electric razor that he uses in his room.
  • A container of stridex type acne pads kept with his first aid supplies to be used when needed.
  • Fingernail and toenail clippers kept with the first aid supplies in his room.

He seems to be doing fine with this arrangement and it is really a simple way to manage his hygiene routines. I would love to hear others ideas or answer any questions about how to simplify your child's routines.