Image Map

Monday, November 14, 2016

How to Solve Problems at School

Often, parents and school personnel don't work very well together. This is particularly true when things aren't going well for your child. It is important that everyone works together even if is excruciating to do so. Why? Anger and division between the adults only causes stress to them. It does not help your child. So how can problem solving and open communication work?

  1. All sides of this puzzle have to be considered. As a mom, I often called a meeting when I knew things weren't going well at school. It was important that I could share what I saw at home. The teacher needed to tell what my son was struggling with at school.
  2. As we looked at what was going well and what was not, it often gave us a lot more perspective.
  3. We learned to value what each person brought to the table. If my son always had trouble on Monday morning at school, I might be able to share something from the weekend to give more understanding. My son had a lot of anxiety with returning to school after some time off. This explained Monday's behavior by him. This type of collaborating helps decrease difficult behavior.
  4. A classroom teacher may create an intervention to help lower a child's anxiety after any school break when she recognizes the why behind the behavior.
  5. I might also share somethings that I have found that work in similar situations. That may reduce everyone's anxiety!

This process may be a lot more complicated and time consuming. The important thing is to keep the lines of communication open with your child's teacher. Working together will bring far more results but it takes relational and physical effort as well as lots of restraint from impulsive comments that you will regret. In every way, this is hard work!