Image Map

Saturday, December 31, 2016

It's Time to Advocate

With only a day or two left on winter break, it's time to begin thinking about next steps for your child at school. Here are a few questions to ask yourself as you get back into the daily routine of school.










Were things going well before winter break?

Does my child's teacher "get it" and more importantly, does the teacher understand my child?

Does school cause your child lots of anxiety? What could be done to help your child at school?

Does the teacher encourage my child by differentiating the curriculum and assisting in social skills?

What areas need to be addressed.....behavior, social, organization, attention or academics?

If the answer to any of these questions is not what would be best for your child, it's time to begin advocating. There is no better time than NOW! I would encourage you to schedule a beginning of the semester meeting if you sense "red flags." The sooner the conversation begins, the sooner problem solving can occur. I would suggest contacting your school this week about scheduling a meeting.

Over the next few Mondays, we will look at ways to advocate for some mid-course corrections for this school year. I'd love to hear your thoughts and concerns.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad