Image Map

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Love

❤️ makes the world go around or that's how the saying goes. I don't know about the world but it certainly is the most central thing in parenting a child. The author, Agatha Christie once said, "A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dates all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

That's especially true when it comes to a mom of a child with learning differences. At least for me, it is hard to explain. It is like nothing else. I show love through hugs, kisses and snuggles just as any mom would for her child. It comes out through comfort and care just like one would expect. 

 

When a child has challenges, a mother's love ❤️ comes out in ways that many would not include in a standard definition. There is a tenacity and fight for this child that can only be fully comprehended by a mom who walks in the same shoes. It is not a fight against anyone but for this child.

I remember reading a bible verse early in my special needs mom's journey. "I will go before you and will level the mountains; I will break down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron." Isaiah 45:2. This verse was one I clung to in the early years of my son's diagnosis. It was a strong active discription of what I was asking God to do. I wanted the mountains I could not to take on to be crushed. I prayed that God would break down the gates and bars of autism when I had no idea what to do. This wasn't a passive love it was active.

Love called me to learn all I could about autism and strategies to use with my son. Love made me learn through lots of trial and error. Love caused me to keep going no matter how many set backs came. Love caused me to cry when I saw how hard certain things were for my son. Love caused me to make my son do things he didn't want to do. I had help him not to give up. In order to do that, love caused me not to give up.

A mother's love is strong. It is the core. All other qualities will not carry through without love. Love is the most important part of the relationship between a parent and a child.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad