Image Map

Monday, April 3, 2017

Finding a Parent Advocate?

Where do you find this person that helps a family advocate for their child? There are lots of places to look. There are online resources, special education lawyers and advocacy groups that have formal listings. I have to admit, none of my advocacy clients found me this way.


I depend on a more organic approach. I connect regularly with mental health professional, Occupational therapist and speech and language professionals. Many of these people recommend me to parents. Ask the professionals on your team for advocate referrals.

The best way to find a parent Advocate is through another parent. Honestly, other parents are normally the best way to find any kind of resource for your child. These days, I gain almost all my clients this way. Parents recommendations can come via message boards, conversations in therapy waiting rooms, at support group meetings and over coffee with a friend. In the last several months, new clients have come through most of the ways listed. I believe parents that network find the most effective services. Parents have a tenacity to look in both traditional and less traditional ways to find what is needed to help a child progress.

I would love to hear how you find advocacy resources.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad